Saturday, September 19, 2015

Cinderelly Cinderelly! Random Ramble.

"Cinderelly, Cinderelly
Night and day it's Cinderelly
Make the fire, fix the breakfast
Wash the dishes, do the mopping
And the sweeping and the dusting
They always keep her hopping ..."

When the new Cinderella movie released recently all I was reminded of was my childhood days spent watching the cartoon movie over and over again. I was really young when my siblings and I used to watch the movie. In fact, I was so young I hardly understood the dialogues. My sister used to give me a live commentary explaining what all was happening and I used to love Cinderella more than any other cartoon.

A little while back, the fabulous ABC Family Channel showed some awesome Disney cartoons all over again. It was a weekend event full of Disney magic and fun and my sheer luck that I even checked ahead in my program guide because I usually don't. When I saw 'Cinderella' scheduled for the weekend I immediately set it for recording on my DVR. Once it was recorded I sat down with Abbie to watch it years after the childhood times. This time too, I fell in love with Cinderella all over again! It was the same me, the same Abbie, the same Cinderella and its various characters .. the only difference was that I did not need a live commentary from Abbie this time!

I understood each word and every single hidden message in the story this time and ended up feeling even more strongly in favor of Disney. I've been hearing and reading a lot of those accusations against Disney since so long; Disney promotes hidden sexual content, Disney projects a biased image of beauty, Disney is destroying the brains of little girls, and etc. I have always loved Disney content while growing up and I seriously do not understand why people accuse it so much. The biased image of female beauty (thin, very well dressed, hair all done perfectly, fair, tall, etc.) is etched in human brain since forever. My mother did not grow up watching Disney, yet she speaks of biased bullying in her young days the same way as I see ladies doing today. Not only my mother, all the aunties I find today have the same concept of female beauty and none of them grew up watching Disney, did they? I believe that Disney was merely involved in some fabulous marketing; the world had their biases fixed in their minds and so Disney catered to them to gain a large audience.

I know there is a whole other side of the argument that goes against Disney, and maybe it even has some valid points that I might agree with but I still remain in favor of Disney! Maybe it is just the childhood attachment to these cartoons that keeps me biased. Or maybe it is just how adorable Gus Gus was in Cinderella! *laughs* Seriously, I loved Gus Gus! I still adore him and he remains my absolutely favorite Cinderella character!

Read more of my Random Bloggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment