Thursday, February 17, 2022

Cajun Shrimps and Vegetables

If you know me, you'll know I am not a big fan of seafood - more on that later. But this recipe is such deliciousness I could eat the ENTIRE thing in one sitting and still want more. Not kidding! So delicious and so packed with flavor, you'll definitely be reaching for second and third helpings! I shared this with my brother and he ended up eating like a dozen shrimps in one sitting. I shall take that as a huge compliment! Hahaha!

So. I mentioned not being a fan of seafood. See, the only kinds of seafood I can take are Fish and Chips (fried to my level of perfection, else not!) and shrimps (cooked all the way through so I'm not smelling the ocean!) ... you get the point; not too big on anything from the sea and super particular and picky! I have decided I am NEVER going to touch raw fish to cook it ever in my life, but since I like shrimps I really wanted to brave it and try to cook them. I cannot begin to tell you how much pep talking I had to do in my head to bring myself to touching raw shrimps. It took me months to convince myself I could do it and then several days to be brave enough to open that pack of shrimps and look inside. I thought I won't be able to do it; the smell would kill me or looking at them raw would mean I never eat shrimps again. But I actually enjoyed cooking these so much and then enjoyed devouring them even more! I didn't chicken out ... or should I say, I didn't shrimp out? Get it? *wiggles eyebrows*

This recipe has the freshness of the veggies, the warm flavors of that Cajun seasoning, and the shrimps doing such magic in your mouth ... Mmm mmmmm! The best part is you can adjust everything in here to your liking. You can use different vegetables if you're not a fan of one listed here, you can adjust the heat by tweaking the spices and the Sriracha sauce, and you can choose to not serve it in a dish and eat straight from the pan instead. Nope, not kidding on that last one!

Now, one thing I do want to mention before I send you off to the recipe is about my shrimps. I add the same little bit in the recipe's notes too for those who just skip to the recipe and don't want to put up with my talking! (I know who you are!!!) Just kidding of course. I have used shrimps with tails on in the pictures because those are the ones I had in my freezer. I was planning to try some other recipe that required the tails until I changed plans and cooked this instead. For this recipe I am not going to get tails next time because they were such a disturbance when I was losing my mind enjoying the delicious flavors in here! So get yourselves shrimps that have tails removed! You'll thank me later.


Ingredients:
  • Shrimps - Peeled, deveined, and tails removed (see note below)
  • Zucchini - I used about 2 medium sized
  • Yellow Squash - I used about 2 medium sized
  • Bell Peppers - I used 1 Red, 1 Yellow, and 1/2 Green
  • Oil - 1 tbsp. Olive Oil and 3 tbsp. Canola Oil
  • Paprika Powder - 1 tbsp.
  • Cajun Seasoning - 1 tbsp. for the Shrimps and 1 tbsp. for the veggies
  • Black Pepper Powder - According to taste (I sprinkled it generously)
  • Butter - 2 tbsp. Sweet Unsalted Butter
  • Garlic - 2 Cloves chopped finely
  • Sriracha Sauce - According to taste
  • Salt - According to taste
Note about Shrimps, real quick. When I bought shrimps to cook I was planning on trying a different recipe altogether. I ended up changing recipes and making this one. You'll see my shrimps had tails on in the pictures because of my changed plans. I'd prefer I cook this recipe without tails next time and that's what I'd suggest you do too, that's why I say tails removed in the instructions! Also, I had two different sized shrimps' packets but it doesn't matter which size you use!


Method:
Start off with preparing your vegetables! Cut them into medium chunky pieces. Do not cut them super fine or they'll just become mush when you get to the cooking bit.

Marinate your shrimps. I used frozen shrimps so I just rinsed them with some hot water for like half a minute so they'd defrost for me. Then add the Oil, Paprika Powder, Cajun Seasoning, and Salt and give it a good mix so the shrimps are well coated all over. If you read the note on shrimps above you'll know I had two different packs of shrimps on hand so I've decided to show pictures of both here! *laughs* Next time I get shrimps I will get the ones that don't have the tails on and I recommend you do the same for this recipe!


Next! Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat and add the shrimps to it. Cook for about four to five minutes flipping halfway to make sure both sides are equally cooked. Remove the shrimps from the skillet and set aside.

Use the same pan with all that deliciousness still in it. Add Butter and Garlic and stir around. Once the butter melts add in all of your vegetables. Add Cajun Seasoning, Black Pepper Powder, and Salt. Cook for about eight to ten minutes until the veggies are tender to your liking.

When the veggies are done, add in the shrimps and stir everything together. Add Sriracha Sauce, as much as you want. Cook together for around a minute or two and you're done! Don't forget to taste and adjust salt according to your liking!

You know how they say a picture can speak a thousand words? THIS ONE speaks a thousand for sure!

... and this one too. Another thousand.

And this.

And this one makes you want to reach out and grab THAT shrimp. You know which one I'm talking about! THAT one. Yes. THAT one.


Okay. Trip to the grocery store needed so I can get myself more shrimps and cook this again!
Try it out and see for yourself what I'm talking about! Even those who aren't a seafood fan will love it! Don't forget to enjoy a little cooking video before you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment