Saturday, August 23, 2014

Gori Tere Pyaar Mein ~ Movie Review

Count on me to not being able to watch movies when they initially release (unless of course they are a Sidharth Malhotra flick which means I have to .. HAVE to watch them asap). Again, when Gori Tere Pyaar Mein began its promotions I first heard about the movie through Big Boss Season 7; Imran Khan and Kareena Kapoor arrived in the Big Boss house and did some fun stuff, but that was it. I did not end up watching the movie at all until now, MONTHS later. Or no maybe an year right? Because Big Boss Season 8 is about to begin now. Wow .. look at how disastrous college stress was; ME not being able to watch BOLLYWOOD movies! HA! Crazy.

But anyway, one fine day I was flipping through my television's guide weeks ahead in time to check potential movies I might be able to put on record when I saw Gori Tere Pyaar Mein. I knew from Big Boss S7 that this had a cool cast so I decided to record it. Weeks later, I finally found the time to watch the recording and to be honest, I was kind of disappointed.

A Bollywood love story with added comedy sounded like exactly my kind of movie. And to some extent it was also my kind; the cheesiness of the plot, the typical silly guy-goes-serious-for-the-girl story, and the Bollywood-ness of it all.

It was a Dharma Production! That usually means awesomeness. I like Kareena Kapoor's acting too because she is the typical Bollywood kind and judging from the previous movies I had seen, I liked Imran Khan on screen as well. So I think I was expecting way too much out of it.

While the story, the dialogues, the cheesiness, and the flow all kept me watching and actually liking the movie, the disappointment came from Imran Khan's performance.

Kareena Kapoor has been known for the crazy girl roles; hyper, cool, awesome, funny, clever, and entertaining. But at the same time where she has been seen doing Pooh from K3G, she has also been seen as Chameli. My point is, because she has tried so many different roles and phenomenally performed in all of them it doesn't feel like she is repeating something she has already done when you watch her in a movie such as Gori Tere Pyaar Mein. So even though she was playing the hyper type, I loved her! I enjoyed her character and probably kept on watching the movie because she felt so awesome in it.

Let's look at what Imran Khan did. THE SAME EXACT THING ALL OVER AGAIN. At times I felt like I was watching I Hate Love Stories instead of watching a new movie. And because of that the whole thing felt like a drag. The same expressions, same style, same dialogues almost, same everything! I mean, when is this guy going to do something different? I like his acting but you can't watch the same man do the same thing while looking and behaving the same over and over again, can you? You grow sick of it.

So while the movie was funny, cheesy, enjoyable, and likeable it was Imran Khan's acting that was disappointing because it kept confusing me whether I was watching an older movie or a new one.
I'd say it was a one time watch only!

Saraallie's Rating: 3 Stars out of 5!

- S. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment