Friday, August 31, 2018

Summer Summer!

They talk a lot about summer vibes and everything as if it's all so awesome, but if you ask me, Summer is my least favorite season of all. In fact, I daresay, the word 'hate' might be involved. Yes, I hate Summer for it brings with it some of the things I don't enjoy at all; heat, sweat, bugs, sweat, bugs. Ummm ... did I just? ... Well, never mind. Every year I force myself into doing some kind of Summery activities so that when the season ends I can pretend I'm all super cool and that I had the time of my life. Because fake it till you make it (to Fall), right? Summer 2018 has been just the same. Surprisingly though, this year, I had to make much more contact with nature and the outdoors than I usually do. *Makes disgusting bug-scared face* This Summer time spent with my baby nieces was the highlight of my season and to keep me happy I even indulged in some seriously delicious Summery stuff.

Fourth of July BBQ and Pool Fun with the Bubsters
I start with the best: the Fourth of July BBQ and Pool Party! Abbie, me, Gubby, and Chunky have formed a club: The Bubsters Club! On the fourth of July I enjoyed a rather unusually awesome Summer day out with my favorites. While chicken tikkas fired up on the BBQ grill on one side I enjoyed with Gubby in her pool. She brought her most adorable bath toys along and honestly I loved them all so much! We laughed, we played, we splashed. It was so much fun that we were actually tired. Then we indulged in a delicious dinner. Chicken tikkas were accompanied by corn on the cob, sausages, grilled pineapples, and hot dogs. We also kept up with our tradition of eating french fries out of a paper cup. This year, Chunky joined us with her most adorable smile and those twinkly eyes. It was a bug-less day (I know, miracles happen!) and it rained a bit too so it wasn't sunny and as hot as I'd expected it to be. So basically the heavens aligned to provide me a perfect Summer day and I enjoyed my heart out!

Summery Indulgences
I allowed myself a serious indulgence to get into my Summer spirit this year. I was spotted sipping a chilled Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino outside Starbucks on one of my Bestie Mall days. It was so delicious. I still do think the Starbucks guy went wrong somewhere because it tasted a little less chocolaty than it usually has in the past but nevertheless it was good. It felt good to indulge into something cold and sweet. Summer was pretty much just my excuse ... truth be told I was seriously craving it! *laughs* I also devoured Starbucks' zesty lemon cake loaf on another trip to the mall as my tribute to Summers. It was so delicious!

Excess Exposure to Plants and the Outdoors
Plants have never been my friend. Allergies and bugs. The end. Yet, this Summer I met a plant I sort of approved of. Abbie had been wanting a cactus since forever and no matter how much I persuaded her she somehow never bought one. This Summer though, I received a text from her one afternoon. "Meet Newt Scamander! He's coming to live with us," it said. Since then Newt the cactus has been residing with us. Lets see how long Abbie keeps a plant alive this time! Hahaaaa! *Speaks in Gossip Girl tone* Will Newt live to witness another Summer or will his fate be the same as A's Hydrangea from last year. Time will tell. XoXo! ... Hahahahaha! I loved doing that!

Not all plant exposure was welcomed without protest from me though. This Summer we had our deck constructed and that meant mama finally forced me into Lowes' and Hope Depot's 'OUTDOOR' section because we had to see the furniture they had. That section is an absolute horror story if you ask me and I didn't enjoy even a second out there. We didn't even find anything we wanted to buy and creepy plants looked at me furtively from every corner, ready to call some deadly ugly bug to attack and charge at me. CREEPY! I am never going there again.


The construction of our new deck this Summer took me outdoors again, even though I was sure the fourth of July BBQ was to be the last time I stepped outside. The deck looks beautiful, God bless! I just couldn't help myself. Yes, it was hot. Yes, bugs spotted me in an instant and charged at me. Yes, I was scared and felt like I couldn't breathe properly. But most importantly I made some beautiful memories with Gubby and Chunky. Mama got them a swing set too and they both loved it while I watched (enviously) because I was too 'adult' to sit on their swing. I am already imagining myself on the deck for Fall and Winter! It's such an exciting thought.

I know one thing for sure, this deck shall be where many precious memories will be made. Touch wood! Actually hug wood, stick to it, not let go. Permanent.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So those are the fun highlights of my Summer this year. Okay okay, I agree it doesn't look as bad as I make it sound. But like I said, fake it till you make it (to Fall)! Oh and I just can't wait for Fall to arrive. My season, my time of the year approaches. I'm looking forward to it with all my heart and mind. I have so many plans, so many hopes, so many happy thoughts. Can it just please be Fall already? As the month of August dies, I'm ready to say goodbye to Summer for good.

In the words of Gossip Girl, "The end of Summer is the beginning of a new season. So we find ourselves looking to the future. You ain't seen nothin' yet. XoXo, Gossip Girl!"

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for making it through summer! Now it's OFF TO HOGWARTS! Meet you on the train. ;-)

    ReplyDelete