Monday, April 15, 2019

The Mirror of Erised ~ What Would I See?

"It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you. Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible."
- Albus Dumbledore (Sorcerer's Stone)

The Mirror of Erised, the mirror that shows your deepest desires, that shows what you want the most, what you dream of the most, what you most desperately wish for yourself. *sighs* If you ask me, that mirror sounds so dreamy and interesting. I don't blame Harry for being mesmerized by it's beauty as well as what it showed. I would be deeply interested in it too ... it's just so mysteriously amazing.

Often, I've wondered what I would see if I stood against the Mirror of Erised. What is the deepest, most desperate desire of my heart? What is it that I want so badly, I could do anything to get it? I thought and I realized my reflection in the Mirror of Erised would be very different today than what it would have been had I looked through it a couple years ago. Like back in high school I would have seen myself in some kind of 'bright future' mode - well accomplished - just like my teachers and fellow students expected from me. Today, my reflection would be very different, for today I do not desire accomplishments as much as I desire peace of mind and happiness of the heart. And that last thought is what gave me my answer ...

If I stood and looked inside the Mirror of Erised today I'd see myself standing extremely happy, content, and peaceful. I'd see Abbie with me - my constant, my pal, my sister. I'd see us possibly vacationing at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. We'd have a Butterbeer mug and a cup full of Florean Fortescues ice cream in our hands. I'd be beaming, looking beautiful, with no weight issues troubling me. I'd be dressed in my Harry Potter gear, boasting my Hogwarts pride. I'd be light as air, with no care in the world, no worry in my head, and the freedom of it all reflected in the obvious bounce in my step. I'd be excited and happy. There'd be no pressure of meeting some deadline or running out of time or running behind some kind of schedule. There'd just be peace and a kind of serene feeling of glee in my heart. I'd be happy, I'd be satisfied, I'd be at peace.

You know, funny thing is, they have a Mirror of Erised at the Wizarding World. You can find it if you step inside Hogwarts and make your way through all the way to where the Forbidden Journey begins. It stands, in all its glory, in a corridor you pass through on your way to the ride. Every single time I go there, I step to the side and gaze through the mirror, letting those in line behind me pass through ahead of me. You know what I see? Exactly what I just wrote about above. I see myself reflected in the mirror. I'm happy, I'm at peace because I'm in my Wizarding World, and I'm with Abbie. Of course, I'm not entirely as carefree as I desire to be, but hey, it really is a feeling of pure bliss. When at the Wizarding World I feel light and bouncy and happy and peaceful deep deep inside my heart. It's like being in a state of euphoria. It truly is my heart's deepest desire to have that kind of bliss again and to feel that level of exhilaration.

Come find me and my Potterhead lifestyle:

Follow Abbie's Potterific A to Z entries on her blog right here!

This entry belongs to the April A to Z Blogging Challenge 2019 - The Potterific A to Z.
For a full list of all of my entries this year click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment