Wednesday, April 17, 2019

O.W.L.s ~ Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations

O.W.L.s ... Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations - the equivalent of the Muggle O Levels. I always enjoyed reading about exam time in the books. I wish they'd shown more of that in the movies too. It was always hilarious reading about Ron literally almost crying about having to study, Harry struggling to keep up with studying while the entire world's burdens bothered him, and Hermione being on top of her game and yet worrying like she'd fail. It was all just so relatable. I've studied the British education system and done the O and A Levels, I've been a studious nerd and very Hermione-ish, and I've been through the excessively stressful times of examinations ... I could relate to all of it and I loved it! Hahaha!

I always love imagining myself as part of the Wizarding World. It is fun to think up scenarios and wonder how I'd fare if I were really a part of the magical world. I've often thought of Patronus Charms and which one of the Deathly Hallows I'd pick or what I would do if confronted by Voldemort or a Death Eater. I've thought about all of that. Today, I'm imagining myself as a Hogwarts student with the O.W.L.s approaching. Surprisingly, it makes me smile, quite unlike the real world exams situation used to do. Hahahaha! I find the thought of O.W.L.s entertaining to think about! Does that make me a tad bit crazy? Maybe. But seriously, anything Hogwarts just brings a smile on my face.

So how would Saraallie deal with the O.W.L.s?
What would I be like during the study sessions?
What kind of a result would I expect?

Without being a show off, I think I'd be remarkably awesome. *laughs* No, seriously. I think I'd be great. I was always a brilliant student throughout my academic career and I know I'd be great at Hogwarts' O.W.L.s too. I'd be the Hermione Granger of the group, minus the extra drama about failing at stuff. I do relate with her about feeling bad when she got less than 100%, even if the grade was awesome. But I never ate my friends' brains about failing when I knew I had done my best and done a good job. I found it very annoying when people used to do that. I always felt like students who had really studied that hard - Hermione level hard - knew they wouldn't absolutely fail so why the failing panic attack? Anyhoo, keeping that aside, like I said, I'd have excelled at O.W.L.s!

Back when I was doing the CIEs and the O Levels I was always ahead of my game. So I know at Hogwarts too I'd have been that way. I'd have made study schedules, carefully dividing all the subjects and classes and their material and course work in study sessions that covered everything way ahead of time. I'd even have left some time in the end for revision at least once. I'd have made sure I had checked the material from all possible books and resources. I would have been just like Hermione in this regard. I'd be helping others where they had trouble remembering or memorizing or understanding stuff too. I'd be that girl who gave everybody else the exam jitters because she was doing too much way ahead of time. Hahahahahaha! I was always that student in school.

On the day of the exams, regardless of how well prepared I confidently knew I was, I'd have fallen sick with worry. Hahahahahaha! I always knew I knew the coursework in and out but the day of the exams I would get diarrhea or throw up just because of the thought of those scary exams. Somehow my body never behaved normally. Somehow I was still getting exam jitters even though I had worked so hard. So I'd be doing the same at Hogwarts too and I'm one hundred percent sure I'd have had a panic attack and when taken to the hospital wing I would have been given the Calming Draught to lower my anxiety.

My #BackToHogwartsBag from an Instagram tag

What I love about the O.W.L.s was how they were so cheating proof. Anti Cheating Spells should really have been a part of my Muggle exams too. Because every single time I sat down to give an exam there was always at least one loser trying to cheat out of my answer paper because they knew my answer would be mostly correct a majority of the time. Oh how I wish I could cast an anti cheating spell on my exam sheets! That would have been so comforting. Oh and did I mention I absolutely am in love with the grading system? Those grades are hilarious! Hahahahaha! So much more cooler than the regular A, B, C, etc that Muggle exams had. Which brings me to the question of what my grades would have been?

Astronomy: I would expect getting at least an E (Exceeds Expectations) on Astronomy, if not the O (Outstanding). I wouldn't like this class, I'm sure, but I would have somehow gotten through it just for the sake of that grade.

Charms: I think I'd get an O (Outstanding) on this one. I would have made Professor Flitwick so proud with my Wingardium Leviosa. Hahaha!

Defence Against The Dark Arts: Okay, clearly this is my favorite class ever and I am certain I would have gotten an O (Outstanding) on this one. Classes that were my favorite in Muggle school usually ended up getting a 100% kinda grade.

Herbology: I'd hate this class because I hate getting my hands in mud and plants and all that and this would mean standing in a greenhouse with bugs which I fear. But I compare this with Biology, which I hated so much for the same kind of reasons, but still got a great grade on. So I think I'd get an O (Outstanding) on this one too. Or at least nothing less than an E (Exceeds Expectations).

History of Magic: History has always been my least favorite but I was always good at memorizing and acing through the exams. Then I used to forget everything I had studied, hahahahaha, but for the exams at least I knew it all. So I'd get an O (Outstanding) here too plus I'd be the student taking the best notes and would totally have Ron and Harry begging me for them.

Potions: I think this would be another O (Outstanding) because I'd be good at following instructions and brewing up potions and all that.

Transfiguration: I'd be the student who was in love with Professor McGonagall and so I'd definitely be good at this class too. I'd make her very proud with a shining O (Outstanding) in Transfiguration.

Care Of Magical Creatures: Another one of those classes I wouldn't love. Bugs, animals, nature, outdoor classes ... not my thing. But I think I'd ace the exam. Hagrid would be in love with me and would call me the brightest witch of my age too. Another O (Outstanding) on this one I expect.

Now, I'm not sure if I would have taken any extra classes like Hermione did to increase the number of O.W.L.s I got. I have a feeling with Hogwarts and its magic around me and Harry and Ron as my friends I would probably have chosen the same classes as them to make sure we stuck together all the time. So I'd say I'd get eight shining O.W.L.s for sure. I'd be the person advancing to N.E.W.T level for classes required for my career of choice without any doubt. I'd be great. I'd be the Hermione Granger of my batch! Hahahaha! Just please give me a real wand and bring Hogwarts to life for sure. I won't mind anything, not even the exams. I WOULD JUST LOVE IT ALL!

Come find me and my Potterhead lifestyle:

Follow Abbie's Potterific A to Z entries on her blog right here!

This entry belongs to the April A to Z Blogging Challenge 2019 - The Potterific A to Z.
For a full list of all of my entries this year click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment