Wednesday, April 10, 2019

I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good! ~ Talking About My Favorite Marauder

"He took out his wand, touched the parchment lightly and said, ‘I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.’ ... 

And at once, thin ink lines began to spread like a spider’s web from the point that George’s wand had touched. They joined each other, they criss-crossed, they fanned into every corner of the parchment; then words began to blossom across the top, great, curly green words, that proclaimed: Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers are proud to present THE MARAUDER’S MAP."

- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I want the entire Wizarding World to come to life and become real. I want it all, honestly. But there are certain bits of the Harry Potter magic that stand out more than the rest and I'm just in love with their idea. I'm talking about the Marauders Map, of course! That bloody brilliant piece of magic created by the genius Marauders. A map that shows you every secret passage of Hogwarts, every single person there, and every single movement in the castle. Imagine how awesome it must be to have that as a student at Hogwarts! So brilliant!

However much in love I am with the Marauders Map, today I'm not talking about the map itself. Instead, I'm discussing the Marauders - the mischief makers who created this brilliance. Today I'm talking about who is my favorite Marauder and why!

Stories of friendships always catch my attention, maybe because I myself never really had any real true friends. Fate just did not favor me that way. Maybe that is why when I read about the Marauders and their friendship I was in love with them. The way they knew each other, kept each others secrets, cared for each other, and stuck together. Sadly, they had a traitor within their group - just like it always happens in my life, a friend betrayed them. How nice would it have been had they never let Pettigrew join their friends' group from the start, right? They shouldn't have trusted him from the very beginning. How different would the world have been if that had happened, right? Harry wouldn't have grown up an orphan, Sirius and Harry would have known each other all through their life ... everything would have been good, right, perfect! Sadly, that never happened and so obviously I hate Peter Pettigrew.

James Potter holds a special place in my heart because he is Harry's father. He was on the right path, fighting with the Order against Voldemort which earns him extra points too. Plus you've got to give it to him for that messy hair, don't care attitude. I've imagined a handsome Quidditch player with messy hair falling on his face and all that. So yeah, I do like him. But if there is something I absolutely cannot stand, it is bullying. James undoubtedly bullied Snape. Unacceptable. That is something I cannot forgive James for and so he is not my most favorite Marauder.

That brings us down to two, Lupin and Sirius. I must mention, I always have a tough decision to make between those two. I respect Lupin immensely and I love Sirius Black so much. So obviously I have a hard time deciding who is my favorite ...

Let me mention Lupin first. Honest, down to earth, extremely reasonable, smart, and fiercely loyal. I also thought he was very kindhearted from the way he behaved in the story. I somehow have a LOT of respect for him. He was a werewolf but he never let it get in the way of being a good human. And lets be real, I love love stories and his and Tonks's love story was just so emotional. I admire him for the way he remained calm in even the toughest of times, thinking with a fierce kind of smartness, and providing theories that made sense all the time. He was never fussy about whatever was happening, instead he told Harry in that matter of fact kind of a tone what was up and what needed to be done. I seriously do not understand why JKR had to kill him. I mean, PLEASE, could we have just saved him? PLEASE? It was so unfair.

And now, Sirius Black. The reason why Lupin, despite how much I respect and admire his character, isn't my most favorite Marauder is because Sirius Black existed. I love Sirius Black too much and he is one of those deaths I will never forgive JKR for. I loved his sass, his cool attitude, his confidence. The arrogant bit, I did not like. But overall Sirius was just too cool. More than anything, I felt bad for him for the way he was wrongly accused for a crime he never committed. He was blamed to have betrayed James and Lily, something he would never even have imagined to do. He lost his best friend, his freedom, his reputation, his happiness and then was subjected to the Dementors - all in one go. And my favorite part is, that all of this devastation happened to him in one big blow and yet he was able to survive against the Dementors. I love how strong his will to survive was. Remarkable!

So there you have it, my most favorite Marauder, Sirius Black! James best friend, Harry's God father, the man with the strongest will. I really mean it when I say I will not forgive JKR for killing Sirius. He was the closest thing to a real relative Harry had. They had dreamed about living together under one roof as family. Harry had this thing for Sirius, he could rely on him, ask him for advice, look to him for some kind of family bond ... but that never happened. Sirius Black was brutally snatched away from Harry, from me. I cried buckets full when I first read the Order of the Phoenix. Then I cried even more when I read the book again ... and again ... and again. It doesn't get any easier to read about Sirius's death, in fact I think it becomes more and more tougher each time I re-read the books. I just cannot bring myself to turn the pages when I know what lies ahead. Brutal ... just brutal.

Excuse me, I have to go sob.

Come find me and my Potterhead lifestyle:

Follow Abbie's Potterific A to Z entries on her blog right here!

This entry belongs to the April A to Z Blogging Challenge 2019 - The Potterific A to Z.
For a full list of all of my entries this year click here!

2 comments:

  1. Nice theme! :) For me, Lupin would probably be the first pick, closely followed by Sirius. I agree on the bullying issue. And also, I think JKR killing Lupin was plain cruel, probably a payback because the publisher didn't let her kill Harry... Lupin's death probably hit me the hardest of all.

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm talking about the one death that shook me the most in my most for the letter J! Do check it out :) You're right, Lupin's death was just cruel and the way Tonks died too, leaving Ted an orphan ... not nice at all!
      Thanks for stopping bye :D

      Delete