Friday, June 18, 2021

Sauteed Onions and Green Beans

I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about green beans. But with this recipe I think I have been converted. This was just so flavorful unlike any other kind of green beans that I have had so far in my entire life. I've eaten at the fanciest of restaurants around the world while we vacationed all around - you know the kind where you get a super tiny helping of green beans as a side to some insufficient-sized entrée - and I have never had green beans better than the ones I'm showing off today. Every single time I ate green beans they were either not cooked long enough or not seasoned well enough so they'd always feel like some kind of raw green that was meant to be growing along with the grass in my backyard instead of being on my plate. For the first time ever I'm going to say this ... I think I like green beans now!

The recipe I'm sharing today resulted from my attempts to feed my Dad who has the palette of a rude food critic seated at a cooking show in the panel of judges - you know the one who has to point out something completely absurd even though their mind has been blown away by the awesome food presented to them ("the way the food sits on the plate doesn't look too comfortable") ... you get the point. So I needed to feed the man with a greater variety of veggies and I decided to try green beans and then I decided to do my own version and OH MY GOD I love it! It is quick and simple and yet so flavorful! If you're not trying it out ... you're THAT person. Hahahahaha!

Have I mentioned how juicy and yumm the bumm they were? Take a look yourself.

Ingredients:
  • Green Beans - I used Giant's store brand. Fresh and edges trimmed. I had a 32 oz. bag and I used more than half of it so I'd say about 20 something oz. of green beans.
  • Oil - 6 tbsp. or more if you prefer. Don't add too much oil as this doesn't need it.
  • Salt - According to taste
  • Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp. or to taste
  • Sriracha Sauce - A generous dash of Sriracha or according to taste to adjust the heat level
  • Fresh Lemon Juice - 2 to 3 tsp.
  • Garlic Powder - 1/4 tsp.
  • Paprika Powder - 1/4 tsp. or according to taste to adjust the heat level
  • Onions - 2 medium chopped in cubes
Method:
The method to cook these green beans is super simple. Just three steps where you prep the ingredients, throw everything in the pan, and sauté until the green beans are cooked through! If you noticed, most of the ingredients are completely adjustable according to your liking. If you like more spicy foods then you can increase the Sriracha sauce and paprika powder. If not, just reduce those two. Lemon juice gives these green beans a fresh burst of flavor so don't skip on that unless you really dislike lemons or something. Take a look at the step by step pictures of this super easy peasy recipe!

Wash your green beans and make sure the edges are trimmed. Add them to the pan and add in oil, salt, black pepper, sriracha sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, and paprika powder. Mix everything together and start sautéing on high heat.

Add the onions, mix everything well and continue to cook away until the green beans are done to your liking and the onions have turned a beautiful delicious caramel brown! I prefer my green beans cooked through until they are soft! If you like them more towards the fresher-raw crunchy side you may stop cooking once they reach the desired crunch. This recipe can really be adjusted to your liking!

When my green beans are soft with a slight tender first bite and my onions have turned a shade of caramel brown that's when I know this is done. Taste and adjust the heat level by adding more Sriracha and the salt and you're done. That's all! Now wasn't that simple?

It is quick, easy, and delicious! What more could you want? This has become my go to when I have several other dishes that need to be cooked alongside. I can just mix everything in and let them all cook on their own with just the occasional stirring. Such a time saver!

Even my three year old niece Chunky loved these and she doesn't usually eat onions because she says, "I don't laak lunions!" (I don't like onions!) Trust me on this one and try this recipe out! You won't be disappointed!

I'll leave you with a quick video of these delicious green beans being cooked too! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sara! This recipe fills my whole-food-plant-based heart with such joy! I'm getting green beans the next time I go shopping and making it. I'll probably have to make at least two pounds of green beans, though, because dear hubby will certainly eat most of it and I want some, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!! This made me so happy! You'll love it!!! Happy eating!

      Delete