Friday, June 9, 2023

Mexican Rice - Deliciosa!

Did I have to say Deliciosa just because I tried a Mexican Rice recipe? Yessssss! Hahaha! I just had to. Because. How else will I get a chance to, right? These Mexican rice really are DELICIOSA, okay? Trust me on it! This has to be the easiest rice recipe I've ever made. It is literally a few ingredients, all added together and within a few minutes ready to be devoured! Quick and delicious, just how I like it these days in the kitchen when life has gotten pretty chaotic and busy. Oh and did I mention this is kid approved? My nieces and nephew loved these rice so much. Gubby tried a bite and started jumping and said, "Beeya, I'm going to name these HYPER rice because they're so good they make me hyper!" So there you go, you may also call them hyper rice!

Now, let me say this ... I have always been scared of trying rice recipes because I worried I'd mess my rice up and either make a mushy mess or have half done rice on everyone's plates. So I know it can be intimidating for some. But then I decided I wouldn't learn unless I tried and I'm glad I did because I love everything I've been making so far. Doubling rice recipes can also be a challenge so I'm going to be a superhero here and give you the recipe for a bigger batch of these rice too. Aren't I such a sweetheart? Thanks! You'll find both recipes below so you can go from there (and I can too the next time I cook these again! Hahaha!)

What You'll Need:

Here's the recipe if you're cooking 2 cups of rice.

  • Oil
  • Rice - 2 cups (See my little note below!)
  • Salsa - 1 cup (I used a mild salsa but you may use whichever you prefer)
  • Red Chili Powder - According to taste
  • Garlic Powder - 1 tsp.
  • Salt - According to taste
  • Cumin Powder - 1 tsp.
  • Water - As required by the rice you use (See my note below!)
  • Black Pepper Powder - Optional! For garnish!
A little babble: How much water you'll need and how long you'll need to cook the rice will depend on which rice you use. In my house we use a Low Glycemic Basmati Rice (Laxmi brand from the Desi store) because my parents are diabetic. They require pre-cooking soaking and don't easily become a mush. So adjust water and time according to what it says on your rice's packaging. I'm just beginning to try new rice recipes so I'm no expert here and I won't recommend the volume of water and time required to save my life! Haha!

Now since I'm an angel, here's the recipe from when I cooked a bigger batch of rice - 3 1/2 cups!
  • Oil
  • Rice - 3 1/2 cups
  • Salsa - 2 1/2 cups
  • Red Chili Powder - According to taste
  • Garlic Powder - 2 tsp.
  • Salt - According to taste
  • Cumin Powder - 2 tsp.
  • Water - As required
  • Black Pepper Powder - Optional! For garnish!

Let's Get Cooking!
If your rice require soaking, rinsing, or any special treatment, begin with that. Then heat oil and add rice to it along with all the other ingredients. So in go your rice, Salsa, Red Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Cumin Powder. Fry the rice in all of these glorious ingredients for about a minute or two.

Then add water according to the instructions your rice gave you. Bring your rice to a steady simmer (see picture below!) and then cook covered until you see the water level has gone down and rice begin to show again.

Uncover the rice and cook till the water evaporates and your rice are done. Make sure you keep stirring so you don't end up burning your rice.

When the water is all gone and your rice look this beautiful, sprinkle some Black Pepper Powder (optional), give it all a good stir and then dish them out and get ready to DEVOUR!
Done! Quick and easy and so delicious!

Just look at that. Doesn't this picture make you want to grab a spoon and just dig in? I love that cooking these in Salsa adds the little peppers and onions and tomatoes to it. It gives me an idea of trying to add veggies in too. Maybe I'll add some peas or beans and see how it goes. I bet it'll taste awesome!

Here's a video from when I cooked a smaller batch of these delicious rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment