Saturday, April 20, 2019

Ronald Weasley - I'm A Tad Bit Upset At You

Hilariously funny and super cool, with the emotional range of a teaspoon - Ronald Weasley!!!
The red haired Weasley whom we have all come to love.

He was like a brother to Harry, my choice for Hermione as I sincerely and fiercely shipped Romione, and the funny guy in the Harry Potter books who always broke the tensions with something he said or did. I love Ron. I loved reading about him and I loved watching him in the movies. However, today I'm not talking about why I love him. Today I am talking about why I'm a tad bit upset at him.

Yes, I'm a tad bit upset at you Ronald Weasley.
I'm upset at you because in my opinion you faltered as a friend and that too to a boy who cared for you like family. Harry Potter considered Ron almost like his brother but Ron just couldn't keep his jealousies and insecurities away, could he? See, I've always had trouble understanding jealousy and why people let it consume them. Ron did too and he gave up and abandoned Harry during times when he needed him the most. It just upsets me so much, I think I still haven't forgiven Ron for it.

They were going crazy searching for Horcruxes with hardly any leads to follow, they were living without ample food or proper shelter, and tensions were eating away Harry's brains like termites ... and Ron Weasley just couldn't care about anything but himself. Ron Weasley ditched Harry Potter when he knew what the prophecy was. Ron Weasley abandoned his best friend when the greatest and most feared dark wizard of the time was after his life. And for that, Ron Weasley, you shall not be forgiven - at least not by me.

Okay, fine, the Horcrux locket did things to you and made you feel pathetic. Agreed and understood. I empathize in that regard. But what about the rest of the times when Ron just couldn't contain his jealousies? What about when Harry was facing the dangers of the Triwizard Tournament and all Ron could think of was not being the center of attention in the shining spotlight? What about when Ron Weasley did not trust whom he called his best friend about not adding his name in for the tournament? There was no Horcrux hanging from his neck at that time. There was nothing fogging his judgment then. It was himself, his thoughts, his own feelings, his jealousies. He knew that there was no way Harry could have tricked Dumbledore's security measures around the Goblet of Fire so why was he upset? He surely did not believe that Harry had secretly entered his name so was he upset just because it wasn't him who was getting that fame?


What breaks my heart the most is that Harry never ever wanted any of it. He never wanted the attention, the fame, the constant spotlight shining over his head. He just wanted to be accepted, be a normal boy who was loved, who had friends, who had a happy normal life away from Privet Drive. But Ron just could not take it. He just had to ditch Harry time and again. It just shatters my heart because I've experienced such friendships multiple times throughout my life so far; having a best friend you love like family ditch you just because you got your shining moment ... it just feels terrible.

It's not just Harry either. I'm also upset at Ron for the way he treated Hermione until towards the very end when he finally realized he had to behave better if he wanted a chance to be with her. From saying mean stuff to her in the very beginning and then not caring about her crying in the bathroom to the way he Lavender-ed her!!! That was so pathetic. It was clear she liked him, it was clear Lavender was making her sad or upset or both ... but Ron was just too busy with his own jealousies and insecurities.

Actually the more I try to think about this the worse Ron starts seeming in my head. I must stop. I must. I don't want to sound like I don't like Ron. I do like him, I love him. He's one of my favorite characters from the Potterverse. However, some things really upset me and disloyalty is on top of that list. I've had my share of friends who ditched me so it's a touchy topic. It hurt when it happened to Harry and it still hurts when I think about it.

I love you Ron, I just wish you'd been more understanding, I just wish you'd been able to rise above your insecurities. If you would have done that, you would have noticed how awesome you were without the need to compare yourself to others. If you'd done that you would have realized you could shine just as bright, if not brighter, as anybody else ... it would be your own shine, your own unique spotlight ... and that would have been the best!

Come find me and my Potterhead lifestyle:

Follow Abbie's Potterific A to Z entries on her blog right here!

This entry belongs to the April A to Z Blogging Challenge 2019 - The Potterific A to Z.
For a full list of all of my entries this year click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment