Saturday, April 11, 2020

JK Rowling, Here's My Second Least Favorite Death!

Harry saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: He was laughing at her. "Come on, you can do better than that!" he yelled, his voice echoing around the cavernous room.

The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest.

The laughter had not quite died from his face, but his eyes widened in shock.
Harry released Neville, though he was unaware of doing so. He was jumping down the steps again, pulling out his wand, as Dumbledore turned to the dais too.

It seemed to take Sirius an age to fall. His body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backward through the ragged veil hanging from the arch...
And Harry saw the look of mingled fear and surprise on his godfather's wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil, which fluttered for a moment as though in a high wind and then fell back into place.

Harry heard Bellatrix Lestrange's triumphant scream, but knew it meant nothing -- Sirius had only just fallen through the archway, he would reappear from the other side any second.
But Sirius did not reappear.

"SIRIUS!" Harry yelled, "SIRIUS!"
He had reached the floor, his breath coming in searing gasps. Sirius must be just behind the curtain, he, Harry, would pull him back out again...
But as he reached the ground and sprinted toward the dais, Lupin grabbed Harry around the chest, holding him back.
"There's nothing you can do, Harry -- "
"Get him, save him, he's only just gone through!"

"It's too late, Harry -- "
"We can still reach him -- "
Harry struggled hard and viciously, but Lupin would not let go...
"There's nothing you can do, Harry... nothing... He's gone."

- Excerpt from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix



There's nothing you can do. Nothing. It's too late. He's gone.
Lupin was right. Rowling had done it and there was nothing I could do ...

I'm looking at you again Rowling.
Yes, you. That's right. It's that time again.
The time when I have decided to talk about another death from the Harry Potter books.

Previously on my blog I wrote about that ONE death which I will never be able to forgive Rowling for. Fred Weasley - a twin, a brother, a friend, a son, a great human being, and an inspiration. There was absolutely no reason for Rowling to take him away. Why do that to George? Why? It is just heartbreaking and I'm never ever forgiving her for it. Today though, I'm talking about my second least favorite death. Another death that Rowling could have avoided. Another person Rowling could have spared ...

I know the emotional blows are critical for the story and I understand adding these tragic events is part of great novel writing and I do know, as an author, you must have had to add deaths to the story ... but really, you could have chosen not to kill SIRIUS BLACK!!!

*STARTS UGLY CRYING*


Sirius Black, my friends, is my second least favorite death after Fred Weasley. So many lives were lost in the Battle of Hogwarts and none of those people deserved to die ... but Sirius Black?! WHY ROWLING? WHY? Why did you kill Sirius Black?

I remember when I read about Sirius falling through that mysterious veil for the first time I was in a state of total disbelief. I just couldn't accept it. My reaction was very much like Harry's. I knew Sirius was coming back somehow. I just knew it. He couldn't die. And certainly not like this ...

And then when it sank in I couldn't control the tears. I had to shut my book closed and put it aside and close my eyes and just cry. It was devastating. It felt like losing a family member.


A family member - that's what Sirius Black was for Harry. He was the closest to family that Harry had ... closest to family Harry could have had. Rowling left Harry an orphan and killed his parents. Then Rowling gave him an Uncle, Aunt, and Cousin who were worse than having no family at all. Then Rowling showed him some hope of having a normal life with Sirius Black ... only to take him away too? WHY?

Think of what Harry's life would have been had Sirius stayed alive. He would have gone and lived with him at Grimmauld Place during school break. They could have had a normal Wizard lifestyle. They could have talked about Harry's parents. Sirius could have shared such fun stories about the Marauders and their awesome adventures. Maybe Sirius would have had more letters or pictures or memories of James and Lily. They could have been friends. Harry could have had a parent-like figure in his life. Harry could have had someone to talk to and get advice from and have adventures with. Harry could have been so so so much happy with Sirius.


Now think of Sirius! Sirius Black, who spent so many years of his life amidst those Dementors in Azkaban, punished for a crime he never committed. When he finally had a chance at life, when he finally had a Godson to be with, when he finally had a friend in Lupin to have fun with ... Rowling snatched it away from him. In just one split second, he was gone. It was too late ... nothing could be done ... *sobs*

I haven't yet and I don't think I ever will accept Sirius's death. I don't think I will ever be able to forgive Rowling for it. But I do have a question that I want to ask her. Why couldn't she let Sirius die in Harry's arms? Just like with Fred, why did she snatch away the chance of those precious last few moments? Why couldn't she give Harry his Godfather's dead body so he could bury it and have a proper funeral and find some closure? Did Harry ever get over the fact that Sirius fell through a mysterious veil and never showed up on the other side? It was unjust for Sirius to have lived his life wrongfully convicted of murder and then not even get a proper funeral. He died fighting against evil and he didn't even get to meet his loved ones in his last moments? How could she do this to him? How could Rowling do this to us? How could she do this to me?

*UGLY UGLY CRYING*

***************
Come find me and my Potterhead lifestyle:

My sister is doing the Potterific A to Z too! Follow Abbie's Potterific A to Z entries on her blog right here!

This entry belongs to the April A to Z Blogging Challenge 2020 - The Potterific A to Z.
For a full list of all of my entries this year click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment