Friday, February 5, 2021

Baby It's Snow Wonderful Outside! Winter Storm Orlena and Loony the Snow Woman!

And when the heavens frosted the earth with a thick layer of beautiful bright snow, I stepped out to enjoy my serene winter wonderland ...
To a person who loves snow with all her heart, a Winter storm is always good news. Snow, I believe, is magical. It isn't like the mundane rainfall washing over everything. It isn't like the humdrum of every day's sunshine. It's something else, it's something more. It is quiet and yet it stirs up the heart. It is cold and yet it warms you up inside. It is peaceful and yet it excites the senses. It is, simply put, magical!  

January 2021 left me with a parting present as winter storm Orlena brought a load of snow to my side of the world. Like a goodbye hug, I woke up to the thirty first of January to find the skies snowing outside my window. It is one of my most favorite sights when snowflakes fall peacefully to the ground as it slowly turns white right before my eyes. January, thank you for a beautiful snow day.

Of course, unlike the rest of the year when I have no love for the outdoors, I just have to step outside when it snows. I love having the surreal all white wonderland around me like I'm in some fictional world of a well written book. I love the soft snow beneath my feet as if I'm afloat on a white cloud of happiness. I love the way snowflakes touch my face, sprinkling my cheeks with specks of cold. I love the way snow smells - light and sweet and cheerful. I love the way snow brightens me up inside, waking up every inch of my body, spreading an unreal Disney-like glee in my heart. *sighs* I just love snow so much!

Just as it always is, 2021's first snowfall was magical too. Everything was white and the world outside looked edible as if it had suddenly turned into a delectable dessert. Abbie was my snow buddy for the day. She was extra cold as always! Hahaha! But she couldn't resist the magic either. This was our first year without our nieces out in the backyard with us and I missed the fun we used to have. If I didn't have mama watching over me from her bedroom's window upstairs I would have considered walking down the street to surprise the babies in their backyard - crazy Beeya and her crazy ideas. I honestly would have loved a walk in the snowfall but doing so would have triggered an explosive reaction from her though, so of course I didn't even attempt mentioning it. 

Instead Abbie and I had super fun. We took pictures of us, we took pictures of the magic around us, we shot videos to relive the magic through our Instagrams later, we made a snow woman too (I did, while Abbie stood there frozen and refusing to touch the snow!)! It was so much fun! Get ready to say hello to LOONY, our snow woman of 2021!

Now isn't she a darling? *blows kissies in the air*
Extra points to you if you get the Spectrespecs and Loony reference by the way!

Oh and fun side note, we had some technical difficulties as well. Ahem! To keep warm I wore too many layers and the button on my jacket wouldn't stay shut. Each time I bent or moved too fast it would pop open and of course that was such a laughing point for Abbie! Hahahaha! I totally got Winnie the Pooh feels thanks to that. (Makes mental note of losing some weight to accommodate more layers in the limited space available! Hahaha!)

I love taking pictures and of course this was the perfect day to do just that, with everything so beautiful around me. I took a million shots and spent a million minutes short listing my favorites later ... but here are the ones I thought were the most stunning! 

I played with the panoramic settings on my phone for the last two pictures of the back and front yard of my house. Isn't that gazebo the most beautiful when it is covered in snow? Such Raj Aryan vibes from Mohabbatein!

When Abbie had finally frozen beyond control she gave up and we went inside! If she hadn't asked I would have stayed outside forever. Hahaha! And then we defrosted ourselves with a hot cup of chai and waited for the feeling in our toes and the warmth in our cheeks to return! Hedwig mug because I associate Hedwig with snow. That is how our beautiful snow day came to an end. It snowed for three days straight and even though I did not step outside each one of those days I stayed glued to the windows. I could spend hours watching the snow fall without getting bored. It is just so mesmerizing.

The sun has finally taken over now and it seems even more determined after being overshadowed and out of spotlight for a good number of days. It's like it has his game face on. The snow is melting and my all-white wonderland is slowly going away. The grass has started showing through again so that now it looks like someone dusted my front yard with icing sugar. Oh and here I am, warm and cozy inside my house, waiting for the next snow to fall from the skies so I can parade in my wonderland again. *sighs*

No comments:

Post a Comment