Friday, September 10, 2021

Karan Johar as Bigg Boss's New Host - Woohoo to Boohoo!

When I found out they were starting some early version of Bigg Boss I got so excited! Bigg Boss is always fun to watch and each year we wait for October when it usually begins. We love the show! Yes, I have hated some characters over the past few years (*coughs*Season 14*coughs*) and that made the show less enjoyable at times. Overall though, Bigg Boss is my favorite and when it ends TV starts feeling pretty boring. This year the fact that we were getting an extra version of Bigg Boss to watch before the season kicked off on TV was a bonus to me! Moreover, when I heard Karan Johar was hosting the shorter version I was even more excited. Who better a host to Bigg Boss than the gossip-monger, masala-creator Karan Johar, right?

Wrong.

When the Show Launched

I'll be honest, I love KJo movies and I've never disliked him either. Watching Koffee with Karan has always been super fun for me too. So yes, I was looking forward to him being the host of Bigg Boss this year. The launch episode was brilliant! Just like I'd thought, KJo was fantastic as host. I enjoyed watching him until the very end and in my head I thought, "This is going to be great thanks to him!" At that time I wondered and even believed to a certain extent that he might even be better than Salman Khan himself. My only concern was if he'd be strict enough for the kind of shenanigans that people get up to inside the Bigg Boss house. The way Pratik behaved on stage, Salman Khan would have silenced him for sure but KJo let it go. Would it work out?

First Weekend Ka Vaar

The first week of Bigg Boss came to an end and obviously I had already started forming opinions about which contestant I liked and whom I disliked. It was finally Weekend Ka Vaar time and KJo was to appear. His first weekend episode he answered my question of whether he'd be strict enough or not. He bashed Divya for the way she kept talking about him and since I'd taken a disliking towards her in the very first week, I enjoyed the bashing. The first Weekend ka Vaar was fun, packed with KJo's usual sass, and Divya bashing and I thought WOOHOO for Karan Johar as the new host! I was almost convinced I never wanted Salman Khan back again.

Second Weekend Ka Vaar

As much as I had enjoyed the first KJo weekend, I was highly upset at the second one. There was more Divya bashing and it felt justified because of how she'd been talking about KJo throughout the week. I thought KJo's strictness mixed with his KJo sass was definitely more powerful than Salman Khan's scolding. His downfall began when he moved on to Zeeshan and bashed him for a deliberately created feminist-pleasing issue which, in reality, was utter nonsense. Fine, you're a feminist. Fine, you 'thought' he had intended to discount women's freedom to behave however they wanted to. Fine, you 'thought' he made a sexist remark. The show is about people having their opinions so yes, it was okay if KJo had his opinions about the entire fight between Zeeshan and Akshara. BUT ...

You never gave him a chance to speak, you insulted a fully grown adult man by making him sit on a bar stool in a corner like a child given time out, and you created an issue out of nowhere. I mean, seriously? What baffled me was the way he tried to poke a response out of every single contestant to prove his point against Zeeshan when clearly nobody thought Zeeshan had fired a misogynistic statement. THAT was bullying. I was suddenly seeing a bully dressed in designer clothes, standing on a fancy stage, creating a fake feminist issue out of thin air. I thought maybe it was just me but then Twitter and reaction from the viewers of Bigg Boss confirmed my thoughts. Unacceptable. KJo had just lost whatever little respect he had from me. Oh and do note, I am not a fan of Zeeshan and I still have these opinions.

Third Weekend Ka Vaar

Often in the past I have completely disagreed with Salman Khan as a host and even been highly upset at some of the ways he has behaved with people. Over the years I have also let it go and continued watching because I love Bigg Boss no matter what the host did. So of course, KJo could be ignored and I could still enjoy my show. On the third Weekend Ka Vaar that was my plan - I would ignore the host and enjoy the weekend's episode as normal. I was wrong though, because the third weekend wrap up was the dullest episode to ever happen in the history of Bigg Boss. Nothing happened. KJo came, did some Koffee style rapid fire and quizzes, played some nonsense games, made no sense, and left. There were no discussions of what had happened all week long.

I couldn't help but wonder two things! First, was KJo just going to avoid saying anything now because of how disastrously he was insulted all over the internet after what he did to Zeeshan? Second, was he avoiding talking about any of the BB house issues to avoid talking about Zeeshan's eviction completely. Oh and that leads me to my next thought: did he get Zeeshan evicted because of how badly his own reputation had gone down with the viewers? Hmmmmm ... good thought there. Because honestly, worse pushing and fighting has happened in the previous seasons and nobody was ever thrown out the way Zeeshan was. Either way, whatever the reason, the entire episode was a waste!

I'm supposed to watch the fourth Weekend ka Vaar tonight, as I sit here typing up this blog post. To be very honest, for the first time ever, I am not looking forward to the special weekend episode. In the past I've disliked Salman Khan over many of his views related to several contestants, but either way I was always looking forward to watching the weekend episode to find out what he would do or say next and to whom. Judging from how boring last week's quiz-focused episode was I'm frankly wary of what boredom I'd get to see tonight. I don't want more of the connection-related quizzing and the lame games. I want discussions and summaries and judgments and the typical Bigg Boss buzz! I want the host to be part of the weekend bashing, instead of keeping him aloof to protect his reputation on social media. This post will end up publishing on my blog after I'll be done with the fourth week's KJo episode tonight ... so here's hoping I get to see some good Bigg Boss action. I actually like most of the contestants and their game this year so I'd really appreciate it if the host kept his socially-appropriate public-pleasing agendas out of the show and let me enjoy my Bigg Boss! It is a big BOOHOO from me for Karan Johar! Somebody please get him off Bigg Boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment