Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Magic of the Wooden Spoon

A wooden spoon doesn't look too special does it? Except for looking all classic and sophisticated, it's just a wooden spoon, right?
Well, wrong! Until now I thought a wooden spoon was .. well .. a wooden spoon, ONLY. But look what Abbie and I discovered recently!

I found a meme circulating online that said that if you keep a wooden spoon over a pot of boiling liquid it will never overflow. I hate overflowing liquids, especially when I'm boiling rice. The pot keeps threatening to burn me like a fierce volcano! And if you have skin like mine, EVERYTHING leaves a mark for eternity!
So when I saw the meme, I had to try it!


Well, guess what we discovered? The wooden spoon trick ACTUALLY works. Abbie and I placed the wooden spoon (as you can see in the picture) over the pot of boiling rice and tadaaaaa; the water kept rising, and rising, and rising until it touched the wooden spoon. At this moment it threatened to overflow and I swear we could even see surface tension .. and then it calmed down. It settled back and kept boiling a good one inch below the wooden spoon!

Guess what that means?!No more messy stove tops, no more threatening volcanoes of boiling liquids, and no more burning myself! Woohoo! If you don't trust me, try it for yourself! Just don't freak out for that teeny tiny second where it will seem to overflow! It will not! Tried. tested. approved!
-S. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment