Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The Crimes of Grindelwald - A Luxury Theater Experience

It was a moment out of someone else's life when Abbie and I booked our tickets to go and watch The Crimes of Grindelwald on the big screen. With work, chores, family, and God knows what not Abbie and I never get a chance to watch a movie in one sitting, let alone in a movie theater. So when November came round and Abbie and I fought the world, time, fate, and whatever else there was at play to make Crimes of Grindelwald's theater experience possible I just couldn't believe it. Our brother drove us to Cinemark and I found myself in a moment of disbelief even though the Egyptian themed grand pillared entrance to the theater was in front of me - in full existence. Was this a dream? Was I reading a fantasy book? What exactly was happening right now?

Nope, it was real alright! The Fantastic Beasts' movie display caught our attention as soon as we entered. We were literally shrieking with excitement and glee. This was just unbelievable but it was happening. Abbie and I made a stop at the bathroom first so that even the forces of nature wouldn't disturb us mid movie. Then we got in line to grab some food. A bag of hot buttered popcorn, Jalapeno poppers, and potato wedges were to be our indulgences for today. Then we headed to find our seats in the theater.

To me this was it. This was my idea of luxury. To be in a movie theater, all cozy with our winter coats around us, Abbie by my side, a fantastic movie about to play on the super huge screen in front of us ... all while we sat there ensconced in their reclining luxury loungers. In that moment, I really couldn't have asked for anything more. Not a care on our minds, no sense of time - just the excitement and anticipation of what we were about to watch.

And then it began. The Warner Brothers logo appeared on screen and then The Wizarding World's and there went my tears. I was crying? Yes, I was crying. I was so happy that I was crying - a reaction the magic of the Wizarding World commonly triggers in me. I wiped off my tears as the movie began because I didn't want to miss even a fraction of a second. To be honest, if I could, I wouldn't even have allowed myself to blink for fear of missing a key detail! Hahaha!

It was mind blowing. Literally, it blew my mind. The movie was just fantastic. There was magic, action, emotions, humor, adorable Nifflers, and mystery. Oh, lots and lots of mystery. The sequence of Grindelwald escaping Macusa's security measures, Newt's absolutely wacky level of cuteness, Queenie and Jacob! The additional details of the magical world. Everything was just brilliant. Then Hogwarts appeared on screen with that familiar music track and off went my tears again. This was like going back to Hogwarts - and Hogwarts, truly, was there to welcome us home again. Dumbledore was phenomenal and Jude Law became a new favorite of mine. Newt was, as always, the best. And my God ... Johnny Depp as Grindelwald. The man truly does bring out perfection in his characters. He was exceptional! The mystery about him, his style, his sinister feels, just his presence ... exceptional! And there was Credence ... Credence, the most mysterious, the most significant in this movie actually. Every single character was mind blowing awesome. Nagini was introduced, Nicholas Flamel was great. We learnt so much more about the Lestrange's family tree.

And ladies and gentlemen, the moment where I just couldn't contain myself and a pretty loud enough, "WHAT?" escaped my mouth ... THAT TWIST AT THE END! That. was. phenomenal. Talk about a cliff hanger. This may just have been JKR's grandest cliff hangers. Seriously woman, I'm going to fall off this cliff because of how shocked I am! How do you even expect me to hang on this time? I JUST CANNOT EVEN SIT STILL WITH THE MILLION QUESTIONS THE ENDING HAS LEFT ME ASKING! And how am I supposed to wait for these answers? MIND BLOWN. Officially blown off. Whoosh. Boom. Gone.

Check out our Magical Creatures' dress and Harry Potter Chibi shoes!

Truth is I couldn't leave my precious luxury lounger even as the credits rolled because I was in shock. I sat there demanding explanations from Abbie who was just as dumbfounded as I was. How? Why? But wasn't it ...? But how come? But then? BUT BUT BUT? We lingered even as the last of the credits rolled and then Abbie finally dragged me out of the hall because she didn't want to be in there alone. I couldn't gather my thoughts even as I descended the steps to head out the exit. I wasn't in my senses even while we got ourselves a double scoop ice cream treat to devour (Cookies and Cream and Rainbow Sherbet). I couldn't think of anything but the movie even as the car drove me back home. It was just mind blowing. That's my single solo reaction to it: MIND BLOWING!

I have been reading negative reviews from people about the movie frequently and honestly I have no idea what on earth they have going wrong in their brains. Stop comparing it to Harry Potter, stop demanding JKR for explanations of timelines and ages and what not - trust me, she has explanations for EVERYTHING she writes. She is possibly one of the most well researched writers I have come across in all my life. The woman knows what she's doing. Haters, seriously, back off.

I just can't wait for the next movie in the series! All my questions need answering. All my theories need proving (or disproving). All my confusions need to be sorted. All my excitement needs to be satisfied. I want to feel the thrill again. I want to feel that rush again. Oh and I so so hope that next time too Abbie and I get to watch the movie on time in the theater! *fingers crossed*

This entry is also written as part of the November Journaling Month 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment