Thursday, July 19, 2018

Our Harry Potter Themed Birthday Celebrations!

When you are living with a sister who is a fellow Potterhead, life is magical. You always have a partner to Potter around with and it's extremely fun. Abbie and I are both Gryffindors and crazy Potter fans who spend a good portion of our day Pottering around in one way or the other. Last year Abbie and I celebrated our birthdays Potter themed. We go all out for birthday celebrations because they are our favorite events of the year so when we decided our themes would be Harry Potter we were extra excited. Think excitement shivers running down our spine every few minutes.

Abbie had to plan first because my birthday falls on October 19th. She chose to focus on the Honeydukes theme from the Harry Potter magic. Next it was my turn to plan and perform and on November 19th when it was Abbie's birthday I went with a 'Yer a Wizard Harry' theme. Both the themes and our birthdays were such grand affairs full of magic. I've shared bits and pieces of both birthdays on my blog here before but today I'm discussing (and showing off) both of them together with some riddikulus-ly pretty pictures to blow everyone's minds away.

We like to keep our birthday themes detailed so I'm starting off my show-off session today with this really cute Harry Potter greeting card I made for Abbie. I just had to make sure everything was HP themed for her birthday and you rarely find HP greeting cards at the store so I decided to DIY one myself. It looked so cute once I was done! I decided to make a graphic like version of Harry and the fun was in the details; the card Harry wore his messy hair around his famous scar, the iconic round glasses, and a Gryffindor scarf to show his house pride.

It was the cutest birthday card I'd ever made! For a full DIY detailed post you can go here!

Birthday greeting cards were one thing. Our birthday outfits were another. Abbie and I both wore a Harry Potter outfit on our birthdays. I woke up on my birthday morning and put on this awesome shirt which said, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." This was my casual birthday outfit for the rest of the day and at night when we cut the cake and had our birthday dinner I changed into a Harry Potter dress which had spells printed all over it. To see my birthday celebrations in detail you can go here where I wrote about how I spent my 26th birthday!

And now, witches, wizards, and muggles, I present to you our beautiful birthday decorations!

As you can guess the first picture is from Abbie's 'Yer a Wizard' themed birthday and the second picture is from my 'Honeydukes' themed birthday party. Aren't they completely magical? I intend to feature both parties in extra detail later but since I'm celebrating Potterific July I decided I'd show them off a bit today as well. For the 'Yer a Wizard' theme I used mostly things from the first book/movie as the party decor. Hedwig, Harry, Dumbledore, Diagon Alley, Platform Nine Three Quarters, Hogwarts, Sorting Hat, Gryffindor ... these were the main things I used as decor to create the feel of Harry's introduction to the Wizarding World. For my Honeydukes theme Abbie went all out with sweets and colorful treats from that awesome sweets shop. There were cauldron cakes, ice creams, Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Chocolate Frogs, and Jelly Slugs and the colors of the decor were the exact same as Honeydukes itself. Our birthday displays were absolutely stunning!

But wait, what's the most important part of every birthday? A CAKE! The main feature of both of our themes was the birthday cake. I made the 'Yer a Wizard, Harry!' Cake for Abbie and she made the 'Honeydukes' Cake for me. And oh my dear God were both the cake stunners or what!? 

BEAUTIFUL! Aren't they? Absolutely magical. Let me show off some details too ...

The 'Yer a Wizard, Harry!' cake was all about Harry finding out about the Wizarding World, going to Diagon Alley for his first shopping session, riding the Hogwarts Express, and being sorted into Gryffindor! I think this is the FINEST cake I have ever ever ever made in all my life so far! I wrote a detailed feature on this cake recently. For detailed pictures and videos of this cake and its making you can go here!

Abbie's 'Honeydukes' cake was so so so SWEET! Literally. She made the top of the cake to look like Honeydukes shop's floor with the black and white checkers. It was such a cute detail! Then she loaded the cake with magical sweets from the magical shop. A chocolate frog blessed the occasion by lounging atop my birthday cake! Hahaha! She even printed out a wizard card with my face on it and used it as a cake topper. I'm going to be keeping the card with me forever! I LOVED THE CAKE ABBIE MADE FOR ME! Best sister in the world, siriusly! A detailed feature on this cake and its making shall soon make its grand appearance on my blog too.

Harry and Hedwig looked stunning together on Abbie's birthday!

Would you just LOOK at that? That is how you celebrate birthdays Potter style, my friends!

*Crying happy tears* *sniff sniff*
Abbie and I, our sisterhood, and our being fellow Potterheads is what makes my life happy. She's my support system and Harry Potter and the fandom is our escape from reality. We find our peace within the pages of Harry Potter, our calm within the scenes of the movies, and our happiness within the Wizarding World vacations we take to Orlando. It is truly always there to welcome us home!

Just when you thought the details were done ... BAM! There's more! We had Gryffindor plates to eat our Harry Potter cakes in and Abbie's Honeydukes cake had a sweet surprise inside too: Honeydukes' pink and green colored stripes as the frosting between the cake layers. How cool are we?

Very. Very. Very cool. Potterheads forever and ever! Always!

No comments:

Post a Comment